Thursday, September 17, 2009

Waterfall Oak Bowl

Here is an oak bowl I made from a nice slab of Waterfall Oak. it's about 4" high and 10" wide. I especially like the wide brim I put on it - that coupled with a small bowl cut-out makes it unique. Oak can be hard on the tools, but I find if you have a sharp edge and approach all cuts lightly, it's not bad. 

One of the positives of this oak - it sands super smooth and really shows off the grain. It's characterized by a strong grain, but in between there is a lot of personality - lighter shade of tiger type striping, darker patches, etc..   Plus, when you are holding this bowl, you can feel the weight and sense the density.  I think it's a great wood for making gifts for men.  Anyway, enjoy!

1 comment:

Jaybees Crafts said...

You look like you have a very good start in turning. Please visit my blog, at jaybeescrafts.blogspot.com/, or my web site at jaybees-crafts.com. If you have any suggestions, please let me know, as I am just getting back in wood turning. I am looking at a new lathe, as the one I have is 45 years old and not that great!! What type of lathe are you using?